Why "The Gander"?

Why "The Gander"?

Most people are familiar with the mythology of St. Martin's cloak. Less familiar may be the myth of St. Martin's goose. It is told that Martin the priest was wanted as bishop. He didn't want the job, and so hid (here the accounts are fuzzy) in a goose pen, barn, or bush and was revealed by the honking of the goose. A gander is a male goose - much like a drake is a male duck. To "take a gander" means to take a peek, a look. We hope to use this space to take a deeper look at things happening at St. Martin's, and share more thoughts and information with you.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Place for the Soul to Speak

By NOAA's National Ocean Service (Iceberg Uploaded by Jacopo Werther)
[CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)],
via Wikimedia Commons
For the most part in our culture we are not accustomed to speaking about the soul. I find this very  interesting because we say that we are body and soul and yet we focus most of our attention on the needs and wants of our body. Our soul is very much a part of who we are. In fact, it is the larger part of our being. An image that I learned from a friend which illustrates this point is that of an iceberg. The part of the iceberg that is visible is only the tip of the whole; it represents the body. The larger part is not visible, at least immediately, because it is underwater; it represents the soul. One has to dive in in order to see it. I can understand why it is easier to deal with what we can see and more challenging to deal with what we cannot see. In the case of the soul one has to dive in, as it were, to get to know it. And so for the most part we don’t ordinarily speak about our soul. It is too risky.

My passion for soul work grew out of my discernment process towards seeking ordained ministry, but it continued to expand as I sought to discern who God is creating me to be. Discernment is part of soul work. Early on I misunderstood discernment to be the work of ordained people like those seeking ordination to the priesthood. As it turned out I realized that discernment is actually a gift that all of us already have and all of us can exercise. What I have discovered in my discernment is that I feel freed up when I untether myself from unnecessary attachments; opportunities open up for me to expand, freed from the constriction created by the external demands to be who I am not. Letting go of my attachments is not easy. But I know that when my soul is untethered I feel a sense of liberation accompanied by a sense of gratitude.

Among the many living saints from whom I get inspiration in my soul work is Parker J. Palmer. I met him once at a conference 6 years ago and I am continually learning from his writings. Three books in particular have found a home in my bookshelf—Let Your Life Speak, The Promise of Paradox, and A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward An Undivided Life. These titles struck me at first glance. I learned some time ago that when a word or phrase or image tugs at my heart the Holy Spirit is inviting me to discern where God may be leading me. So anything that stands out in my experience is food for my discernment. One image that stood out from Mr. Palmer’s writings is that of the hospitable place for the soul to speak. Mr. Palmer points out that the soul is shy and vulnerable and so she/he needs a safe place to speak. In my experience with psychotherapy, in spiritual direction, and in small group work I have found this to be true. While the process has been slow it is now bearing some fruit. One cannot hurry the soul after all. It needs to be treated gently and patiently.

A number of small groups at St. Martin’s provide a hospitable place for the soul to speak. A few “Circles of Trust” have formed out of the larger Women Connecting group as a place for participants to continue their soul work. “Spirituality of Aging” formed out of the Wellspring Lenten series of the same name; it is an opportunity for older men and women to reflect on their process of aging, the joys and challenges they meet at this point in their lives. And, “Nurturing Your Creative Soul” focuses on Benedictine spirituality using the book “The Artist’s Rule” for reflection.


On December 18 Wellspring will offer a small group spiritual direction for anyone seeking a place to gently start soul work and seek God with others. Subsequent meetings will be on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. For more details visit Wellspring at St. Martin's online or contact me at hkollin@stmartinec.org or at 215.247.7466 x108.

- The Rev. Harriet Kollin