Why "The Gander"?

Why "The Gander"?

Most people are familiar with the mythology of St. Martin's cloak. Less familiar may be the myth of St. Martin's goose. It is told that Martin the priest was wanted as bishop. He didn't want the job, and so hid (here the accounts are fuzzy) in a goose pen, barn, or bush and was revealed by the honking of the goose. A gander is a male goose - much like a drake is a male duck. To "take a gander" means to take a peek, a look. We hope to use this space to take a deeper look at things happening at St. Martin's, and share more thoughts and information with you.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Door to Inner Life

For a long time I struggled to understand what my inner life or soul-life is about. Part of the challenge was setting aside the time to cultivate and tend to my interior life. My usual routine of praying the Daily Office and attending Sunday services was just not enough; I needed time to be engaged by God in silence. But part of me feared the unknown and was afraid to take risks.

There came a time, however, when God’s invitation to “come and see” became more persistent and louder, and I was no longer able to ignore it. So I mustered the courage I needed to accept the invitation. And that is how I came to enter my inner life--taking one little step at a time.

In the mid-90’s I participated in a facilitators training conference on a program called Women of Vision, a leadership curriculum that was developed by women in the Episcopal Church to raise women leaders in the church (and beyond) and to affirm their gifts. One of the gifts I received from this training is the question “WHAT STANDS OUT FOR YOU?” From that time on this question has become a very practical tool for reflection. It has become my regular practice to ask myself this question.


I have been making literal and mental notes of words and quotes that jump out from my readings or sermons I hear from others; of thoughts and feelings that arise from activities like gardening, knitting and cooking; and, images that arise in my dreams and elsewhere. I have come to see and understand these occasions as invitations from God to look within. I have found a home for these thoughts, feelings, and images in my heart. And I have found that I may return to them there from time to time. Surprisingly, each time I turn within in this way, I discover how my life has changed and in so changing, these thoughts, feelings, and images reveal new and deeper meaning. I become aware of the differences they have made and continue to make in the way that I relate with God, others, myself and the rest of creation.

- The Rev. Harriet Kollin