Why "The Gander"?

Why "The Gander"?

Most people are familiar with the mythology of St. Martin's cloak. Less familiar may be the myth of St. Martin's goose. It is told that Martin the priest was wanted as bishop. He didn't want the job, and so hid (here the accounts are fuzzy) in a goose pen, barn, or bush and was revealed by the honking of the goose. A gander is a male goose - much like a drake is a male duck. To "take a gander" means to take a peek, a look. We hope to use this space to take a deeper look at things happening at St. Martin's, and share more thoughts and information with you.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Let the Chair Hold You

Right around the time I moved to Philadelphia, I got struck by a memory from my brief time studying in Oregon—a memory I haven’t been able to shake. We were just starting a contemplative body exercise, and the spiritual director urged us to let our chairs hold us. Fidgeting in my seat, I wondered how I was supposed to “be held” by the chair anymore than I already was. By sitting down in the chair, wasn’t I already letting it hold me?

As if sensing my confusion, the spiritual director added that too often when we sit in our chairs we hold up our own weight rather than letting the chairs fully support us. We let our bodies take on more work than necessary, because consciously or unconsciously we feel like they should. One of the major lessons of the exercise was to remind us to accept support for our bodies when it is given. 

Over the past couple of months, I have been learning that the lesson from that exercise applies to far more than simply how I sit in my chair. Just as I have a tendency to hold my own weight even when a chair is provided, I also have a tendency to try to completely support myself even when help is all around me. I struggle to accept support from other people, because I feel like I shouldn’t need help from anyone or else I will become a burden. But just as people have provided chairs in order that my body might be supported, God has provided me with a multitude of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances in order that the rest of me might be supported as well. And as I have repeatedly found myself in situations during my post-college transition in which I need support, it is has been a helpful lesson to learn to be more accepting of the support offered to me.


It has been valuable to be reminded at work, at home, and in the community that it is okay to need to lean on someone else. It is okay to have to ask for help. It is okay to let yourself be held up by your chair and by those around you.

- Angelique Gravely