Why "The Gander"?

Why "The Gander"?

Most people are familiar with the mythology of St. Martin's cloak. Less familiar may be the myth of St. Martin's goose. It is told that Martin the priest was wanted as bishop. He didn't want the job, and so hid (here the accounts are fuzzy) in a goose pen, barn, or bush and was revealed by the honking of the goose. A gander is a male goose - much like a drake is a male duck. To "take a gander" means to take a peek, a look. We hope to use this space to take a deeper look at things happening at St. Martin's, and share more thoughts and information with you.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Listening to the Communion of Saints

Given that the move was less than five months ago, it’s not surprising that it took me awhile to find the plastic container that contains my little corner of the Communion of Saints. I discovered it under a box and some games, the picture frames inside still enveloped in bubble wrap. These aren’t the only photos I have of my beloved ones, alive and dead. But these are the ones in frames, the ones that have sat on mantles and on bookshelves over the years. On display. So we don’t forget we’re part of something larger.

I select two that I will place in the side chapel on Sunday to mark the feasts of All Saints and All Souls. There is a small photo of my husband’s parents taken Easter morning, 1993. And there’s one of my parents taken 10 years before that: my mother, who is still living, and my father, who died when I was 22.

There are countless saints in my life – the Communion of Saints is a cloud of witnesses both living and dead, so I was taught. But these select are my patrons, the ones who parented and formed me and pointed God out to me, all in their own ways.

My parents grin at me from June 1983. I could have chosen the photos taken in the early 50s, back when my mother looked a bit like Leslie Caron and my dad was a serious World War II vet with all his hair. But I didn’t know them then.

Instead, here is my dad as I best remember him: thin hair, glasses and a face creased with smile lines.  I indulge in a tiny bit of self-pity. There are many, many things I would have liked to have discussed with him over the last 26 years, many things I would have liked to share with him. Like my in-laws, he died too young, before all my questions were answered.

But the Feast of All Saints isn’t about nostalgia for the dead. It’s about faith in the living, a relationship with souls that dwell as near to us as God does. And just as I can sometimes fail to notice the intimate presence of God, so too do I often fail to remember the intimate presence of those who are in full communion with God. Maybe it’s because they are so silent, as God is silent.

But they also speak.

When I want to know what my father would say to me about my life choices, I can consult the hagiography – the saintly and sometimes selective story I tell about his life. I can look to his philosophy of parenting and work (his field was vocational education). I can recall his readiness to walk and talk, his willingness to build things upon request, from dollhouses to dulcimers. I can tell the story of how he joined the Catholic Church in his own sweet time, more than 30 years after he told my mother he’d convert. I can savor his theology: “It all boils down to this: God is love. It’s as simple as that.”

If I would like to hear his voice now, in the intimate proximity that I believe my father shares with the divine, I must do this:  I must put myself in my most receptive posture.  I must quiet my side of things -- my memories, my loss, my grief. And I must take my place in the Communion of Saints, which speaks with one voice: God is love. And those who abide in love, abide in God.  And God in them.

- Barb Ballenger