Why "The Gander"?

Why "The Gander"?

Most people are familiar with the mythology of St. Martin's cloak. Less familiar may be the myth of St. Martin's goose. It is told that Martin the priest was wanted as bishop. He didn't want the job, and so hid (here the accounts are fuzzy) in a goose pen, barn, or bush and was revealed by the honking of the goose. A gander is a male goose - much like a drake is a male duck. To "take a gander" means to take a peek, a look. We hope to use this space to take a deeper look at things happening at St. Martin's, and share more thoughts and information with you.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Perspective Restored - An Essay on Stewardship

Fifteen years ago, some older friends chose me and my wife as the next owners of their property in Hancock, Maine.  These remarkable people were both retired pastors who had been on the front line of every good cause from the American Civil Rights movement to putting their bodies between the Contras and the Sandinistas during the war in Nicaragua. In an unexpected phone call, Bob and Fran announced that we were the chosen ones.  “Why?” we asked.  "Because you share our values and commitments and will be good stewards of the property," they answered.

So we bought the property on Egypt Bay, next to Egypt stream, on a remote stretch of Taunton Bay.  With the property, we inherited a chainsaw and a forestry management plan.  Bob had worked many years to make the seven acre wood an official Tree Farm with a plan to promote plant diversity, wild-life habitat and a forest of diverse trees at all stages of the life cycle.  Indeed, our seven acres were wonderfully populated by red oaks, 80 foot tall white pines, fir trees, cedars, birch trees, tamaracks, popples (the local name for quaking aspens), maples, apple and pines. My job was to be the next steward of Bob’s hard work and vision.

From the perspective of 15 years, today I see trees which were chin high at the beginning of my tenure and are now three times my height with trunks thicker than my thigh.  I am moved to tears by the happy notion that my grandchildren may play under these same trees and their children too.

Stewardship of this property puts my life in perspective and joins me to a greater purpose and meaning.  The forest also teaches me that stewardship is unavoidable.

From the perspective of life among the trees, I am constantly reminded that the cycle of life is so much bigger and more mysterious than me and my petty concerns. 

From the perspective of life among the trees, I am constantly reminded that I am a recent visitor on a short duration visa in this world.  The trees will be here long after I am gone and that makes me incredibly happy. My stewardship is not about me.  Stewardship is about the generations that will come – what will they need to thrive and find joy in life and how can I prepare and provide for them?

From the perspective of life among the trees, I am constantly in awe of the beauty and resilience of nature.  The abundance and persistence of life is breathtaking.  The unique stories told by each tree trunk in the scars of weather and the search for light are fascinating. The super-abundance of wind-sown seedlings each summer puts me in mind of Christ the Wild Sower of Seeds.  The Stewardship question is always: what to do with so much abundance in life?

From the perspective of life among the trees, I am constantly asking whether I am doing all I can with my limited gifts and abilities to add to the health of this forest and ecosystem. Stewardship is working in that dance among what is given, what gifts I bring and what is envisioned by God to add to and to advance the well-being of all. 

Stewardship is unavoidable. If you walk through my seven acres, you will find low stone walls and a small cemetery plot dating back to the Civil War. This land has been cleared of trees at least three times since European settlement - for boat building, for salt-water farming, for animal grazing.  What appears to be natural  - here and throughout New England - is the result of human intervention.  Therefore, we must continue to be active stewards intervening to correct past mistakes and play our part in the flourishing of a nature renewed. 

We are all stewards of community, personal gifts and talents, property, mission, vision and society itself.  Our spiritual work is to be reflective and self-aware stewards who give our lives in Christ like ways to God’s  renewing of Creation.

-The Rev. Jarrett Kerbel