Why "The Gander"?

Why "The Gander"?

Most people are familiar with the mythology of St. Martin's cloak. Less familiar may be the myth of St. Martin's goose. It is told that Martin the priest was wanted as bishop. He didn't want the job, and so hid (here the accounts are fuzzy) in a goose pen, barn, or bush and was revealed by the honking of the goose. A gander is a male goose - much like a drake is a male duck. To "take a gander" means to take a peek, a look. We hope to use this space to take a deeper look at things happening at St. Martin's, and share more thoughts and information with you.

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Interim Rector’s Note: Goodbye and God bless

Rev. Phyllis Taylor
This Sunday, September 30, will be my last Sunday with you. We’ve been together less than three months, but how I’ll miss you!

My soul will miss the worship. I’ll miss participating in the lay-led services of Morning Prayer on early weekday mornings in the Mary chapel, then sitting there in silence in God’s presence with the meditation group. I’ll miss coming into the church first thing Sunday mornings and being awed each time by the holiness of the space and the care with which it has been prepared: flowers beautifully chosen and arranged, trays set out for each service with home-baked bread and snowy fresh linen, and bulletins and Field Notes arranged in baskets. I’ll miss sharing the leadership of worship with so many people so reverently prepared – acolytes, lectors, intercessors, Eucharistic ministers, ushers, and preachers. How stimulating it has been to hear the gospel preached in different voices; how much my soul has needed to hear what each had to say. And, oh, the heavenly music! Singers, instrumentalists, that gorgeous organ, and now the famous choir. The music here has warmed the cockles of my soul.

My heart will miss the people. The innocent faces of the little children at the worship.together services, and the creativity and energy of the school-age children at VBS. I’ll miss the kind and friendly faces greeting me and one another at the door after the service. I’ll miss the faithful shut-ins for whom St. Martin’s will always be their spiritual home. I’ll miss the workers of the parish who sit through long meetings deliberating on the nuts and bolts of parish life with grace and humor.

My mind will miss the stimulation of being with people with a passion for learning about their faith. So many are in the Biblical Study groups, the EFM group, the reading group! It’s like being back in seminary. I learn something every day.

My strength will miss the energy with which the congregation cares for one another and for the wider community. I’ll miss the hugs and prayers for one another during the liturgy. I’ll miss the announcements about training for Stephen Ministers and voter engagement, retreats on climate change, plans for Becoming Beloved Community. I’ll miss the astonishing energy of the choppers and cooks and servers at the Wednesday SUPPER at St. Martin’s. I’ll miss meeting with the staff to brain-storm how to get done what needs to be done to support the ministries that make up St. Martin’s mission. Their creativity and enthusiasm inspire me.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of your community. I have been truly blessed by my time with you.

Blessings,
Rev. Phyllis Taylor


Editor’s Note: We will all miss your spirit here as well, Phyllis! Thank you for your time with us. Next week, our Rector, Rev. Jarrett Kerbel will return from his sabbatical. Please pray for him, the staff, and all of you, the parish of St. Martin’s, as we are reunited after this time apart. We are so grateful that, with your help, we are already in the midst of a vibrant start to our fall season.