Why "The Gander"?

Why "The Gander"?

Most people are familiar with the mythology of St. Martin's cloak. Less familiar may be the myth of St. Martin's goose. It is told that Martin the priest was wanted as bishop. He didn't want the job, and so hid (here the accounts are fuzzy) in a goose pen, barn, or bush and was revealed by the honking of the goose. A gander is a male goose - much like a drake is a male duck. To "take a gander" means to take a peek, a look. We hope to use this space to take a deeper look at things happening at St. Martin's, and share more thoughts and information with you.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Obstacle of Self

Crucifixion by Eduardo Rodriguez Calzado
When I met with my first Spiritual Director for the first time I talked a lot. I jabbered, babbled, confabulated, sermonized and generally rambled. Talking is easy for me and weaving a cocoon of words is second nature. In my heart I know that my words are an attempt at intimacy, in effect they are a smoke screen, a defensive bunker and an assertion of false, egotistic self.
 
My Spiritual Director, a monk from Holy Cross Monastery, patiently endured until he had a chance to speak. “Get your self out of the way,” is all he said before leaving me.

The identity we create over time helps us function in the world. Our self is both an ‘adaptation’ we undertake to manage the demands of life and an ‘accident’ of factors and experiences beyond our control. Our identity may help us swim in the waters of a turbulent world or it may drag us to the bottom, it may help us sing the song God is leading or leave us lonely on an island longing for contact with the Divine.
 
For me, one primary obstacle blocking intimacy with God is my chronic self-loathing. On some fundamental level I hate the person God made me to be. I hate that I am vulnerable. I hate that I am emotional and sensitive. I hate that I am not manly enough. I hate that faith and doubt are constantly at war inside me. I hate that I am inescapably attracted to God and I am embarrassed to be a religious person.
 
Perhaps I share too much. However, the approach to God runs through the bright light of honesty. And this is where self-loathing becomes an obstacle. In God’s presence, we can only be honest; we can only be the person we were created to be. Going into God’s presence means making a journey beneath the mask of our adaptive and functional self and into whatever we are so diligently trying to hide.

Tears, frustration, anger, and avoidance often mark the threshold of this vulnerable place. We are going to a place that we have spent a lot of energy to suppress and ignore. Life experience has often taught us to protect this true self from harsh judgment and rejection by burying it deep.
 
The good news is that the bright light of honesty shining from God is the light of love. It is a liberating and refreshing light, a light that encourages our true self to be alive and real. In the Light, we feel the tingling tenderness and exposure of the newborn; we feel the odd relief of spiritual poverty, stripped of all our armor and strategies for puffing ourselves up. We entertain powerlessness in relationship to our own salvation, putting aside all the false strategies for saving ourselves and admitting our dependence on God.